Definition

Silver Lining: noun. A hopeful or comforting prospect in the midst of difficulty.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

It's hard to remember what day it is when going through all this. I didn't realize that it's alreadly been a week since the last post.

We did not, as we had hoped (and begged!) to do this week's chemo at home. We compromised with 2 nights in the hospital and the rest at home. The Dr. convinced me when he said if it didn't go well at home, we wouldn't be able to do it for awhile (or again!). I didn't really believe him but thought it best since Olivia did get sick last time, to at least start out in the hospital. (She did not get sick from the chemo but was so anxious about it beforehand that she got sick while waiting to get started.)

She did great in the hospital. We went home yesterday afternoon with the portable pump and fluids and all went well last night. We are now in the clinic waiting for results. If she has cleared the chemo, we go home without the pump until Monday. If not, we go home with it and come back tomorrow to check it again. Beats staying in the hospital.

Just to clarify this protocol. One chemo cycle for this is five weeks long. She does two drugs the first week, gets a two-week break, and then a third drug the last two weeks. So the break is in the middle of a cycle, and we are just finishing up the last week of her first cycle. Monday we start the second five-week cycle, and then she has surgery. The extent of that will depend on how well she responds to the chemo. Then she starts right back in with more chemo.

I'll finish this later... writing from the clinic and we are getting called.

4 comments:

  1. Michele- thanks so much for the update. I was so worried that I was messing up again on this blog. My heart and prayers are with you as a mother and I send all the strength in the world your way. You are absolutely awesome. Give both kids and my brother a big hug and kiss. You are truly loved and thanks for taking care of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia-papa and I are praying you respond well to the next round of chemo.You have been a trooper so far and know you will continue to beat each bump in the road.We love you dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me and my family and friends are praying for you and your family. One of my friends from Maine know how your sister and family feel. Her cousin had bone cancer. And she hopes you will make a great recovery after each round just like her cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia,
    I am so thankful that I spent the week with you---I really treasure our time together---I am available any time that you need me.
    I love you-you are the apple of my eye

    ReplyDelete